Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Friendster vs. Facebook..here in da Philippines

I have just succumbed to the proddings of my ka-berk and broke my self-imposed limit on one social networking for the self rule. I believed that being on Friendster was enough and getting on another social site would take too much of my time. I didn't want to leave Friendster as my labor of love was there, my very first blog site, thus two was definitely more than I could handle. But after hearing so much about Facebook on the Net, the television and from friends, I decided to give this Harvard graduate's creation a try. Well, so far so good, I'm enjoying it. Perhaps its in the layouting too but the applications are such that its so user-friendly compared to Friendster. The updates are strategically located in the center of the page and grabs your attention. It also has a better application for finding friends and its "what are you doing now?" feature is really fun. The only downside though is that it has no space for a blog which is what has tied me to Friendster.

So which is better? The jury is still out but judging from the many Facebook converts, the verdict is not that hard to guess.

6 comments:

  1. The whole concept of "social networking" is bizarre. Facebook, Twitter, Friendster. They all have such friendly names but there is a downside to all of them. People are no longer interacting with each other. There is nothing personal about typing at a computer all day long and "chatting" or "posting" with people you will never meet. Social skills have gone out the window. These sites are breeding a generation, a society of people who cannot read body language, who do not know the inflection of voice or language skills, and worse yet, a society that is too trusting in sharing its intimate secrets with absolute strangers. I am on Facebook for business networking purposes because colleagues and clients are there..........but personally, I've given it up for the next 40 days and nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To ladylitigator:

    I understand where your coming from and your concerns are truly valid but for some people social networking supplements the real deal (conecting in real time) and does not replace it. I believe that's what Friendtser, Facebook and other social networking sites should be. Let us just hope that we don't forget the old-fashioned way of socializing back when the Internet was just a figment of someone's imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I ask that you remove my upper comment from your blog. My very comment on this blog reflects the reason I HATE the Internet. I have been receiving strange, explicitly referenced emails from the Phillippines since posting a comment on your blog. Please delete it and if anyone else is reading this blog, keep your emails to yourself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To ladylitigator:

    Could you particularly describe what kind of emails? Anyway, if ever they were quite offensive ones, then I am truly sorry that an honest assessment should receive so much flak. Everybody is always entitled to his/her own opinion, precisely why this world is so interesting. Imagine what it would be like if everyone spoke the same thoughts. BORING. A planet of clones and likemindedness robots. But seriously, I found your comment enlightening although I may not totally agree with you but that does not mean I should go around sending uncomfortable emails cause my views run contrary to yours. So I acquise to your request lest more of such emails come. Your particular comment shall be deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooops! I have to go back on that request. It seems I dunno how to delete comments on my blog. If anyone out there knows how, do help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was a Friendster holdout and only went to Facebook cause my wife has an FB page but no Friendster. It probably has to do with the international flavor that FB has compared to Friendster which is dominated by asians. I like the fact that the FB servers are a lot quicker.
    But overall, things have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

    ReplyDelete