Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Final Encore...Francis M

Mga Kababayan Ko
"Mga kababayan ko, nais ko ng malaman niyo
Bilib ako sa kulay ko
Ako ay Pilipino

Kung may itim at may puti
Mayroon naman kayumanggi
Isipin mo na kaya mo
Abutin ang yong minimithi..."

(Rough translation, as in real rough)

My fellow countrymen, I just wanted you to know
I am proud of my color
I am a Filipino
In a world of white men and black men
The brown race also exists
Just think you can
And your dreams shall be within reach

This song was all the rage then back in my senior year in high school and signalled the start of the rise of Francis Magalona's star in Philipine pop music. With songs like "Mga Kababayan Ko", "Kaleidoscope World" "Man From Manila", "Ito Ang Gusto Ko" all original compositions teeming with patriotic fervor, he established his foothold as the Master Rapper and King of Pinoy rap.

Now, the kingdom is without a king and the Master Rapper is gone.

In the early afternoon of March 6, 2009, the "Man From Manila" lost his battle with leukemia, barely a year after being diagnosed with the terminal illness. He left behind his wife, Pia Arroyo and eight children and memories of a life lived with passion as well as a legacy of Filipino music that shouts, yes, I am a Filipino, and I am proud...

2 comments:

  1. It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreYou Bali *jkhsgg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Up next is a post on the island of Zummarraga. I've been there last week and I would like to share my travel with all of you.

    ReplyDelete