Monday, November 10, 2008

"Ma Laki Tian"- this one's good for the tummy

There is a small hole-in-the-corner restaurant with a witty name that is the waray equivalent for the phrase, "big stomach" which has tweaked "Waray in the City"s interest. Ma La Ki Tian is a cozy place ideal for dates and small groups who wishes to dine out on comfortable budget. It is pricier than your regular fastfood joints yet affordable enough for the student wishing to indulge a week's worth of allowances for a fine dining experience.

The first and last time I went to Ma La Ki Tian prior to yesterday was during my birthday on a dinner out with my family. At that time I was too busy with my then months old baby to take note of the food. All I could remember then was that the servings were quite small. We had to make double orders as single ones could not be enough for the family that had healthy appetites.

Fast track to today (uhmm, rather yesterday). My friends and I decided to try out the place since it was just a walking distance from our usual coffee haunt at Bo's. Recalling my experience, I mentioned that the place was just ideal with its small portions as we were still full from all that frappuccino's we had earlier. Much to my surprise, the place had truly changed, at least when it came to apportioning its food. The servings were bigger this time and we had some left over when our meal was done. And I must say, the dishes were tasty. The lechon kawali was cooked to just the right amount of crispiness and retained a hardly noticeable sweetness which I really liked. As for the sisig, it was good enough to ask for a second helping. The drinks were priced reasonably and did not follow the formula of some joints that tag it at ridiculous prices to jack up your bill. The bottomless iced tea could be had at P50.00 and there were no admonitions against sharing.

I dare say, Ma La Ki Tian is indeed worth a second visit.

Ma La Ki Tian is located at Del Pilar St., right across St. Paul's Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment