Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Beautiful Baguio, Part two

The last time I visited Baguio was in 2000, and just like the first time I went there which was way back in 1995, it also fell on a summer. So when I learned that I was going to the Philippines famed city of pines, I was a bit excited as it was scheduled in December. You might wonder why I was so worked up on a December Baguio trip when the place is also known as the "summer capital" of the country. It because on all my previous trips, the only time I really felt like donning a heavy sweater was in the late afternoons and evenings. Ergo, Baguio was not that cold in the day and what's the point of going there if the weather is just like here in the lowlands? I was curious to experience real cold weather, to feel an almost western hemispher coolness which could only be experienced there in December.


Apart from the temperate weather, I was also eager to see again the beautiful flowers that could only abound in low temperatures. Poinsettas by the roadside as well as sunflowers jutting out from crevices in the concrete was a common sight as my bus weaved its way up the mountains. At some point in our ascent, everything was covered in heavy fog and you could not see anything below the road, not the houses, trees or any vegetation. Truly, this is how it feels like to be up in the clouds.
More than just the fine weather and tourist spots such as the Grotto, the Mansion, Camp John Hay, Wright Park, Philippine Military Academy (the biggest military school in the country whose graduates have gone on to become leaders in the military), and Mines View Park, Baguio City is a place full of warm and friendly people where everyone is literally a trained tourist guide. Everyone I asked for directions were always most helpful and added tidbits or two that would help us in our stay (e.g. the best time to shop at the ukay-ukay stalls). Speaking of ukay-ukay, the city's claim to being the secondhand goods capital of the Philippines is well-deserved. As with all bargain hunts, you just have to be patient and perservering as you wade through clothes, shoes, and bags lumped in heaps or hung by hangers in the different stalls in coming upon valuable finds that look almost brand new and belong to world renowned labels like Gap, Nike, and Burberry. After going through so many stall and exiting empty handed, we soon came upon a corner one and hit pay dirt. The ukay shop had just replenished its stocks and it was full of really fine items. I found so many blouses and long sleeved polos that hardly had any hint of being used and would have taken them all had they fit me. Sadly, only two of the blouses I really liked felt comfortable enough to wear which I immediately bought. At Php150.00 apiece, it truly was a bargain.

Unfortunately for my group, the seminar ended quite late in the afternoon, so we were only able to visit a few of the sights in Baguio. We went by the Grotto where we prayed before the image of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. We also bought pasalubong at the Strawberry Farm. After that it was back to the hotel to prepare for an early morning trip back to Manila the following day.


No comments:

Post a Comment